Bristol Dog School dog and puppy training is run by Head Trainer Clair who has had a long career in animal care and training spanning over 20 years. She grew up in South Bristol and always had a passion for animals and wildlife and was surrounded by pets of different species for most of her youth. She still lives in South Bristol with her husband Jonathan and two Weimaraners Atum and Ma’at and Cockatiel Milly. She particularly enjoys gundog training and working her younger dog Atum on shoots and competing in Working tests with him.
This experience has made her passionate about providing a good start to all dogs in their new homes by creating understanding and teaching good training skills to owners in simple yet logical way.
Atum has also appeared on ITV’s Puppy secrets and C5’s Secret life of puppies terrible twos, he also appears in the puppy book by the same name written by Sarah Whitehead. He more recently appeared with Will Smith in Episode one (Gasp) of One Strange Rock for National Geographic.
Clair has had the opportunity to work with many exotic species during the course of her career. She has been lucky to spend time at Bristol Zoological gardens, Wild Place project, Noahs ark zoo farm and Monkey world, working with Gibbons, Giant Tortoise and Tigers and African Elephants as well as birds of prey and has also worked with domestic farm animals including Chickens, and Goats, and during the 10 years working at the University of Bristol she worked with Cats, Rabbits, Chinchillas, Guinea pigs and Rats and Mice.
Clair’s main interest in dog training and behaviour, is separation anxiety and how it affects the dog and the owner.
Having first gained a BTEC National in Animal care in the late 90's. From there she want on to work and qualify as an Animal technician at Bristol University, While working as an Animal technician she brought home her first Weimaraner Jackson, who wasn't exactly the easiest dog to live with but her love for him and to make his life better started Clair on her path into positive reward based dog training.
Clair has been training dogs in Bristol for 15 years. During this time she studied to become a gold level instructor with the Academy of dog training and behaviour, she also has a BSc (hons) in Animal behaviour and welfare from Oxford Brookes university and a Masters degree in Animal behaviour and training from the University of Hull.
Clair currently has two Weimaraners Bella who is blind and Atum who is her working and competing dog, Atum picks up on a local shoot and has placed in HPR Novice working tests.
Sadly Bella passed away in March 2021 after an 8 month battle with lymphoma. Clair and Atum have now been joined by Ma’at.
Clair's relevant qualifications
- BSc (Hons) Animal behaviour and welfare
- FdSc Zoological management
- BTEC National Diploma Animal Management
- NVQ level 2 Animal technology
- City & Guilds Animal transport
- MSc Animal behaviour and training Bishop Burton college & University of Hull
- Pet Professional Guild member #51655848
- Member of the National register of dog trainers and behaviourists
- Dog Training College approved trainer #196
Partnered with Tug -E-Nuff dog toys' use the Code BRISTOL at check out to receive 10% off your order
Continued Professional Development courses
- 2008 Bronze level instructor course Academy of dog training and behaviour
- 2008 Silver level instructor course Academy of dog training and behaviour
- 2008 Gold level instructor course Academy of dog training and behaviour
- 2015 Canine emergency first aid Julie Cleasby RN RHV (First aid for dogs)
- 2015 Dog law seminar Trevor Cooper Cooper & Co Solicitors
- 2018 Wolf Keeper workshop BIAZA
- Canine Nutrition level 3 Oplex careers
- Canine Psychology level 3 Oplex careers
- Dog Behaviour Dr Amber Batson Greyhound gathering and picnic
- 15 Shades of play Sarah Whitehead Clever Dog company
- 30 day's of canine science School of Canine Science
- The Neuroscience behind how dogs learn Dr Michelle Lord Co-evolve dog training and behaviour
- The Art of Consultation Jo-rosie Haffenden School of canine Science
- Behavioural and training strategies for noise phobia in dogs Naomi Andrews BSC (Hons) PGDip(CABC) The Webinar Vet
- Tackling pet obesity: Where are we getting is wrong Sean McCormack BSc (Hons) MVB,MRCVS The Webinar Vet
- How can nutrition impact the brain Xavier Manteca Vilanova BVSc PhD MSc (ECAWBM) The Webinar Vet
- Behavioural problems in indoor rabbits Guen Bradbury The Webinar Vet
- Understanding your pet gundog - Jane Ardern - Waggawuffins canine college
- Deaf dog awareness - Leanne Louise McWade - DTC
- Overcoming Separation Anxiety - Leanne Louise McWade - DTC
- Canine Play Behaviour- Caroline Wilkinson - Rough Hounds
- Dog Law Live - Trevor Cooper - Dog Law
- Canine Health and First aid - Dr Sophie Bell - Animal Love
- The Biology of Socialisation- Dr Jessica Heckman -ICB
- Quantifying reliability and Speed of Training - Dr Ian Dunbar - DTC
- Immunology, Auto-Immunity and Stress - Dr Nick Thompson - DTC
- The Learning Planet - Dr Susan G Friedman - DTC
- Tellington Ttouch Training and Calming the Aroused Dog - Toni Shelbourne - DTC
- Understanding and Dealing with Canine Separation Anxiety -Caroline Clark - Pet Education and Training
- An introduction to dog and cat anxiety - Caroline Clark - Pet Education and Training
- To crate or not to crate - Debby Lucken - DTC
- Dogcasting! Podcasting About Dogs - Steve Goodall - DTC
- Raw Expert - Natures menu
- Pet Insurance - Are you in the Know - Mark Walden - DTC
- Ensuring Client Engagement - Emma Lee - ICB
- Effective Communication For Dog Professionals - Debbie Connolly - DTC
- Anxiety the Whole Story - Dr Jessica Heckman - ICB
- Blind dog awareness - Jade Brookes - DTC
- Empowered dog online conference - Multiple speakers - Empowered dog
- Oversubscribed: How To Sell Out Your Training Classes & Workshops - Amy Barber & Cat Jackson - DTC
- Nutrition and Behaviour - Jo-Rosie Haffenden - School of Canine science
- Separation Anxiety - The Plain and Simple - Jan Rawlings - DTC
- Memory Matters - Dr Amber Batson - DTC
- Loose leash walking- Sally Gutteridge - Canine Principles.
- One day Canine aggression & rehabilitation- Steve Mann - IMDT
- Deconstructing ‘resource guarding’ – can we ‘fix’ it?- Karen Wild - ICB
- Myths and Perceived Barriers to Separation Anxiety Melena DiMartini ICB
- The Lemonade conference - Multiple speaker - IAABC
- What a vet behaviourist would like you to know about neutering - Dr Amber Batson - ICB
- Trauma in animals conference - multiple speakers - Control the meetkat
- The Exercises: Foundation to Advanced - Steve Mann -IMDT`
- Psychopharmacology - Prescribing for Canine and Feline Patients Webinar SurveyDr. Meghan HerronAmerican College of Veterinary behaviourists
- Beyond socialisation: A newer approach toward earliest intervention - Karen Wild - ICB
- Gundog games for training and behaviour clients - Jules Morgan & Helen Philips - APBC
- Reactivity specialist program - DTC
- Breeds course - DTC
- The Brain and behaviour through life stages (Puppy, Adolescent, Adult & Senior)
- PAIN! Exploring the link between posture, pain and behaviour - Sarah Fisher - ICB
- Psychoactive Medication - Why, What & How - Sophie White - ICB